The winery Le Macchie, considering the altitude of the vineyards, their slope and the cultivation difficulties, since 2019 is affiliated to the Cervim, the certification bureau for heroic viticulture.
Cervim is an international organisation set up in 1987 under the auspices of O.I.V. “Office International de la Vigne e du Vin”, today ” Organisation Internationale de la Vigne e du Vin”.
The Centre is joined by regions and regional, national and foreign organisations united by a common interest in the enhancement and protection of the mountain viticulture.
The Centre, ruled by the law of the autonomous region of Valle d’Aosta N. 17 August 2004, is based in Valle d’Aosta and has always operated by promoting studies, research and conferences and ensuring its presence in all the institutional and sectorial offices where issues related to the viticulture are faced, vouching for the interests of the mountain and steep slope viticulture.
Characteristics of the represented viticulture
The cultivation of vine in mountain, steep slope areas or in small islands has some peculiarities.
The distinctive features shared by the CERVIM partner areas and on which the recognition of “heroic viticulture” is based are the following:
- orographic conditions hindering mechanization
- small vineyards, not always contiguous and in many cases terraced
- farms with limited productive areas and not as primary entrepreneurship
- need for large economic investments in case of reformulation into a modern viticulture
- climate conditions not always optimal ( e.g. water requirement)
- different kinds of grapes with oenological productions outside the world models (niche products)
- – vineyards located in geographic areas with high landscape and tourist value